Express, Standard & Economy
Bounce Back to Healthy Habits in 5 Steps after all the Christmas Parties!
Reading Time: 4 min
We all over indulge a little during the Christmas / New Year period don’t we? As we should! I mean, one year does a lot to one’s life whether it good, bad or somewhere in between - a lot happens and we all deserve those indulgent foods and perhaps the ‘one too many’ drinks to say goodbye to a hectic year and welcome a new one. Let’s not deny however, that it does take its toll on our body as the adrenaline of the end of year hype eases and we get back into a normal routine. A speedy detox is one of the best ways to kick start that healthy life you had two weeks ago! Here are 5 things you can do to help your body bounce back to its pre party self:
1. Bye baddies! Not wanting to state the obvious but you need to cut out all alcohol, coffee and sugar foods to get your kick start. Don’t feel sorry for that half bottle of wine that may still be in the back of your mind - bin it. If you can’t totally let go of the coffee, I understand. Try a caffeine free coffee alternative. Of course it’s not the same but it comes pretty damn close!
Same goes for those sugary snacks that you may well possibly have a surplus of. It may be best to throw away opened packets of chocolates or treats, as it could get tempting during your health kick start to just ‘have a taste’. As the saying goes ‘It’s easier to avoid temptation than to resist it!’. Once you’re over the detox period try a healthy chocolate alternative such as dark chocolate or even some chocolate covered goji berries!
2. An oldie but a goodie: Drink water, water water! It’s something that we all know but sometimes get a little bit lazy. I find that if I have a 2.2L water bottle handy full of water I just keep drinking, mostly even without realising! For an average adult, drinking at least 8-10 glasses per day is ideal.
Want to step it up a notch? Mix some apple cider vinegar + honey in with your water or if you’re not a huge fan of the taste, take a shot glass of water infused ACV+honey in the morning and before bed. If you're time poor and want to have a go-to bottle to take out with you, Bragg have pre-made ACV + honey drinks which you can buy here.
3. Exercise. Not only is exercise great for our physical health but it also does wonders to our mental health. For some, it may be the thing that keeps you motivated to keep the other 4 steps in place. Exercise during a detox is like what honey is to a bee. They just stick together and are a perfect match. If you can, try and get at least half an hour of exercise in per day.
4. Raw foods. Unless you went to a health retreat for the ‘Christmas Parties’ period then I’m sure some processed meats or foods were on the menu and not many foods in their natural form. Try to eat as many raw food as you can and avoid anything processed during your kick start to health. Sprinkle chia seeds onto your daily salad and have a handful of almonds or pepitas by your side as a go-to snack for those difficult craving moments. The enzymes that raw foods have will boost your digestion and generally make you feel a whole lot better!
5. Get your snoring on & sleep 8-10 hours per night. Gone are the late nights of the New Years Eve and Christmas parties. Sleeping heals our body and allows all of the other steps to work to their best ability. In simple terms, sleeping more makes you eat less and no, it’s not because you have less ‘awake time’ to eat. It’s because sleep and metabolism
are controlled by the same part of our brain. If you’re feeling sleepy, certain hormones go up in your blood and those same hormones drive appetite. So get yourself some proper pillow time!
Use the 5 steps above to give yourself a kick start to health and try to maintain these steps for 7-10 days. After this you will find it easier to get yourself back into your own habits and your own daily healthy routines.
We wish you only good health and a fabulous 2018! Have a very Happy New Year!