8 Natural Skincare Products To Keep In Your Bathroom Cabinet
What we put onto our bodies has as much effect on it as what we put into our bodies which means, if you're putting lots of harmful chemicals onto your body in your skincare, you could be damaging your biggest organ - your skin.
Natural skincare products are growing in popularity and have been for a while - mostly because of how good they are for your skin and how little damage they do to you. Natural skincare uses natural ingredients and can help you to achieve truly healthy skin.
As well as natural skin care products, you can also find natural products that aren't necessarily skincare, but can be used as such. These kinds of products, like apple cider vinegar and some essential oils, can be made into homemade natural skincare that can boost the health and appearance of your skin.
The world of natural skincare is multifaceted meaning the kinds of products you use can vary greatly. Natural skincare can cater to all skin types, including sensitive skin, dry skin, and combination skin. Natural skincare is a must for all natural health enthusiasts.
We've been doing some research into natural skincare, looking at what it is, what the benefits of using it are, and which natural skincare products you should always have to hand. To find out more - keep reading now.
What is natural skincare?
Natural skincare is essentially skincare that comes from natural ingredients but because the label 'natural' is unregulated, natural means lots of different things. Some brands use natural to mean that their products have some naturally occurring ingredients that have been processed, whereas others use completely raw natural ingredients. Learning to understand labels will help you to spot the truly natural stuff.
Natural skincare can include lots of other labels too, like cruelty-free and certified organic. Cruelty-free products are regulated by labels like the leaping bunny and are made using ingredients that have not been tested on animals. Certified organic means the ingredients haven't been subjected to lots of synthetic fertilizers and pesticides in their cultivation. And though these labels appear frequently on natural skincare ingredients, they do not guarantee a product is natural.
Other labels on natural skincare
Other labels you may find on your natural skin care products include:
- Fair Trade - This label means that all workers in the process of creating the product have been paid and treated fairly. It is an internationally recognised symbol.
- Clean - An unregulated term that seems to suggest that ingredients are not dangerous or harmful. Though this sounds like organic ingredients, anything claiming to be organic should have certification.
- Green - Another unregulated term that suggests ingredients in the product will not impact the environment or will do minimal damage.
Why should I use natural skin care products?
So, why should you be using natural skincare?
Natural skincare comes with a huge number of benefits, these include:
- It's safer - As we mentioned, anything you put on your skin is coming into contact with the biggest organs in your body. As you apply products to your skin, they slowly seep into your bloodstream meaning if there's anything nasty in there, it's going straight into your blood. Natural skincare comes from nature and is very unlikely to contain anything harmful.
- It's packed full of the good stuff - From vitamins and minerals to antioxidants, natural skincare is packed full of the stuff that is good for your body. If you eat fruit for the vitamins, why not apply natural skincare for the same reason?
- It's much more gentle than synthetic products - Synthetic ingredients can be really rough on your skin and are particularly bad for those with sensitive skin. Natural skincare tends to be much gentler.
- It's got a long history of being great for your skin - One of the reasons natural skincare is so popular is its long history of actually working. Natural skin care has been used for centuries in herbal medicine and has worked on skin that entire time.
8 natural skin care products to keep in your bathroom
When it comes to natural skin care products, there's no one product that works better than others. Most skincare is based on the kind of skin you have too, meaning what works for one person may not work as well for another.
Below, we have listed some natural skincare products that seem to work well on a range of skin types. Each product forms a different part of your skincare routine, and we've added in some products you might keep in the kitchen too, just for good measure.
1. This purifying skin cleanser
The Purify Facial Cleanser from Botani, an Australian brand dedicated to creating the best natural skincare in the country, removes impurities, moisturises and promises to leave your skin soft, bright and clear. This cleanser is suitable for all skin types and has an anti-blemish formula, helping those with acne-prone skin too.
Size: 50ml - 100ml
Price: $18.95 - $31.95
2. This eye contour gel
This Brilliantly Brightening Eye Contour Gel from Acure is made using natural ingredients and is free from parabens, sulphates, mineral oil, formaldehyde, and it's cruelty-free. Acure products use lots of natural and organic ingredients and are a great choice for natural beauty enthusiasts.
This eye cream uses seaweed and hibiscus extract for rejuvenating hydration to the delicate skin under your eyes. It also contains argan oil, witch hazel, and aloe vera to cool and reduce puffiness.
Size: 14.7 ml
3. This day cream
This Moroccan Argan Oil Day Cream from Dr Organic is packed full of vitamins, minerals, and essential fatty acids to moisturise and replenish your skin. The African extracts, Kigelia, Hibiscus, and Baobab, that have been used in this formula have been used for centuries to promote supple and hydrated skin.
With organic essential oils, fruit extracts, and other ingredients, this is a fantastic certified organic and natural skin care product to have in your bathroom. Argan oil is a good ingredient for all skin types and can be used on oily skin as it will not clog pores.
Size: 50 ml
4. This night cream
This Restoring Night Cream from Natural Instincts is a hugely hydrating night cream, perfecting for replenishing your skin overnight. With organic and natural ingredients, including sweet almond oil and Kakadu plum, this cream will also help to slow signs of ageing.
Size: 110 ml
5. This planet-pleasing face scrub bar
This Solid Face Scrub Bar from Ethique is made for all skin types, using ginger, brown sugar, and cinnamon to exfoliate the skin. It removes dead skin cells from the surface of the skin and gently moisturises as it does so.
This scrub bar comes with the added value of being good for the planet. As a solid bar, it requires minimal packaging, avoiding any single-use plastics and helping you to cut down on the waste you generate with your skincare.
Size: 100 g
6. This rejuvenating face serum
This Rejuvenate Hemp Serum from Sativa is a non-greasy and vitamin-rich formula that helps to replenish and hydrate skin while slowing the signs of aging too. Made using rosehip oil and green tea, this serum is made to clear and protect the skin, especially from age-related damage. This product also uses certified organic skincare products.
Size: 30 ml
7. This coconut skin oil
This Organic Coconut Face Oil from Eco Modern Essentials is a good all-around oil to have in your cupboard for when you have drier skin in the winter months. With a nourishing mix of coconut, evening primrose, rosemary, camellia and vanilla oil, this skin oil will hydrate and replenish even the driest skin.
Size: 15 ml
8. This charcoal face mask
This Charcoal Face Mask from Generation Clay is a nourishing mask, perfect for drawing out impurities and leaving your skin feeling clear and bright. With added aloe vera and witch hazel, this mask is good to keep around for breakouts and acne flair ups as it will treat them instantly.
Size: 100 g
Kitchen cupboard skincare miracles
Along with the fantastic natural products we have listed, there are a few common kitchen cupboard products that are used by natural skincare enthusiasts to promote healthier skin. These include:
- Apple cider vinegar - Used diluted, ACV is a good natural toner that will leave skin clearer and brighter. Use an organic apple cider vinegar and make sure to do a patch test before using it on your face.
- Green tea - Using organic green tea as a toner is a good way to get antioxidants into your skin and promote healthier-looking skin. Brew the tea as normal and then let it cool before smoothing or spraying onto the skin.
- Oatmeal and honey - These ingredients can be used together to form a hydrating mask, or used separately on your skin. Oatmeal is known for promoting moisture in the skin while honey is antibacterial and antiseptic and could be great for acne-prone skin.
- Extra virgin olive oil - Like the skin oils we have recommended, olive oil is super hydrating and great for moisturising dry skin. It's also full of beneficial antioxidants and vitamins that help your skin feel healthier. Other oils from your kitchen that can also be used in skincare include coconut oil and sunflower seed oil.
Natural skincare is great for your skin. It contains natural, gentle and safe ingredients that help your skin to be healthier, more moisturised and appear brighter. There are so many benefits to natural skincare which is why it is becoming more popular.
There are lots of different natural skin care products for you to choose from and we have just listed our favourites here. If you're looking for something different, or want to explore more natural skincare, be sure to check out our entire skincare range today.
Remember when shopping for natural skincare to shop with your skin type in mind and always check the labels for the ingredients it contains.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does natural skincare mean?
Natural skincare basically means skincare that uses natural ingredients, however, the term is unregulated and so you must check ingredients labels to ensure the product's claims are true. Natural ingredients contained in natural skincare may be raw ingredients or natural ingredients that have been processed. Many other labels usually appear alongside natural skincare, these include organic, cruelty-free, clean, and green. Some of these labels are regulated and some aren't but they all mean different things and don't guarantee the product is natural.
What is the best natural face treatment?
There are lots of different natural face treatments and each works differently depending on the skin type you have. Some of our favourite natural face treatments are apple cider vinegar, used as a toner, to clear and brighten the skin, green tea to rejuvenate and replenish the skin, and olive oil for its deep moisturisation of the skin.
How can I clear my skin naturally without any products?
For clear skin without any products, you will need to ensure that your diet is in good shape. Eating foods, like fruit and veg, that have lots of vitamins and minerals as well as antioxidants can help your skin to appear clearer. There are some foods that could lead to worse skin, like dairy and gluten, so try to limit these. You should also ensure you drink enough water each day for the skin to feel moisturised.
How can I get crystal clear skin at home?
Crystal clear skin comes from a combination of a good skincare routine, a good diet, and drinking plenty of water. A good skincare routine can be a simple one, containing only a cleanser, a moisturiser, and an SPF. Try to use natural skincare products so you don't damage your skin with anything synthetic. Eat a diet filled with lots of plant foods and ensure you drink enough water each day.